After a huge run up to the end of 2009, we took some time to think about all of the “2010 – Year of the Tablet PC” rumours. There is no doubt that 2010 is going to be an exciting year for Microsoft Windows based Tablet PCs and UMPCs, and maybe even some Apple and Google ones too.
We’ve already had some very interesting hardware shown this week at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas.
However, here at TabletPC.com.au, we think that the year of the Tablet PC was 2009!
Sure, the consumer devices from the like of HP, Lenovo, Viliv and Apple will make some waves this year. On the Windows front we have already seen a wave of pen and multi-touch devices like the Lenovo X200t and Fujitsu T4310 with capacitive touch screens.
But the serious Tablet PC business really kicked off last year. 2009 saw many large and small Australian organizations deploy mobile computing solutions with Tablet PCs.
What happened in 2009 for Tablet PCs?
- Windows 7 – Mobile computing took a huge stride forward in 2009 on the back of improvements in Windows 7.
- Outdoor Screen Technology – The introduction of the Hydis AFFS+ display by Motion Computing was a technical breakthrough for Tablet PCs (currently on Motion Computing F5, C5 and J3400) – Most Tablets are used outdoors at some stage, so this technology is essential.
- Mobile Broadband Access – We now have Tablet PCs with 21mbps mobile broadband access with GPS onboard.
- Applications – Software developers are continuing to embrace mobile applications in areas like building and construction management, building and pest inspections, sales force automation, digital forms, GIS and mapping.
Who started using Tablet PCs in 2009?
Hundreds of Australian organisations deployed Tablet PCs in 2009 because of advancements in hardware and software that make field computing solutions now practical. Here’s a taste of the types of companies that we helped deploy Tablet PCs with in 2009:
- Defence and Police Forces around Australia
- Local Governments from North Queensland to Tasmania and across to WA.
- Distribution businesses
- Manufacturing businesses
- Nurseries, Farms,
- Building, engineering, architecture and construction companies
- Physiotherapists, Occupational therapists, Nurses, Doctors, Clinics, Aged Care Facilities and Hospitals
- Restaurants, Hotels, Bars and Pubs
And many more from small “Mum and Dad” businesses through to multinational companies.
Why did they choose Tablet PCs in 2009?
- You gain true computing mobility without sacrificing power
- You can now read the screen without effort
- Outside reading is comfortable with good battery life
- Screens are much bigger than PDA (PDA screens are too poky for many jobs)
- They can run their existing Windows programs without having to learn a new system or pay to develop a completely new one
- They were surprised to find that handwriting recognition really works, particularly in windows 7
- You can now work all day away from a power source.
Why did they buy from TabletPC.com.au in 2009?
The largest to the smallest Australian companies called on tabletpc.com.au for advice in 2009 because we are still the only independent Australian company that employs real Tablet PC and UMPC experts.
- We sell all of the Tablet PC brands that are available in Australia to independent resellers, including:
- HP, Lenovo, Toshiba and Fujitsu Convertibles
- Panasonic Toughbook Rugged Tablets
- Motion Computing
- Xplore Rugged Tablet PCs
- Tablet Kiosk, Logipad, Getac
- Viliv, Gigabyte, Asus and Samsung UMPCs
- And if it’s not on the list, we can source it for you…
- We are able to give you advice on your specific needs – We don’t have allegiances to any brand, we will only sell you the best device for your job!
- Our staff have all been involved with Windows Tablet PCs since the launch of Windows XP Tablet PC edition in 2001 – in real world use.
- We have a worldwide network of software solution providers to make sure
that your Tablet PC is not just a piece of hardware, but a solution that will work for you.
- We supply training and support with all of our Tablet PCs that cheap web sellers and even the manufacturers just can’t offer (because their staff have no idea about Tablet PCs!) – We make sure that you know how to use your Tablet PC effectively.